Here is where I'll be posting thoughts and images about anything. These posts are all made using my Samsung Blackjack (i607) Windows Mobile SmartPhone.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Emoze vs. Exchange Server

I have been using emoze (www.emoze.com) for a bit to get email from my home PC. Emoze has a nifty and free client/server that you install on your Windows PC. It connects with Outlook - I am running Outlook 2007 - and sends new emails to your Windows PocketPC or SmartPhone. On your WM device you install the emoze client. All transactions are encrypted from your PC to WM or vice-versa.

You can set up emoze as a true push email app or set it up to check after XX minutes. I found that with it running as a true push it killed my battery pretty fast. It did better when I had it set to check every 15 to 30 minutes.

Additionally, it can only send emails that Outlook has recieved - meaning you are at the mercy of how often you told Outlook to check your mail. When sending with emoze set to always on, email was fast. I didnt check to see if emails sent under the timed rule were sent then or at the next check.

I, just in the past two days, setup and started using the free Mail2Web (www.mail2web.com) Exchange Server (1024mb storage - using emoze you have no limit, aside from what your PC can handle).

The plus, over emoze, is that its true push. As soon as email hits the inbox you get a copy on your device. Sending from your device is just as fast. Edit - So far I have not noticed any hit on the battery. It seems to be less battery intensive than emoze running push full time.

Both options sync email, contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. Edit - Both also allow you to setup delivery times.

I have switched to using Mail2Web as my push email service. And I am still getting my emails on my home PC.

Here is how I have my email setup -
Using GMail (www.gmail.com - now open to all with no invite needed) I setup a rule/filter to send email to my Mail2Web account. This happens as soon as the mail hits the inbox. Mail2Web then sends the email to my device.

Outlook at home is still logging into GMail and collecting ALL of my mail and downloading it. Edit - When I sync the Blackjack to my main PC it updates the contacts, calendar, etc for me.

I could setup Outlook to sync with Mail2Web, but right now I dont want to or have a need to.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger
Add to Technorati Favorites